Thursday 7 February 2019

Gum Leaf Borders again




I am trying to stick to the 'don't buy it if you are not going to use it for at least three different projects' idea. Here are two more cards using the Gum Leaf Border die from Paper Rose. I foresee far more than three projects with it however!

The card shown above and right is my favourite use of the die so far. Same card but different lighting.

The birds are from a Penny Black die set - 'Finches'. I love trying to colour them to match actual Australian birds - though the closest in shape are called wrens here.

Colours used for gum leaves - Distress Markers: fossilized amber, shabby shutters, peeled paint, vintage photo.
Colours used for birds - Distress Markers: antique linen, scattered straw, brushed corduroy, gathered twigs, spiced marmalade, rusty hinge, squeezed lemonade, fossilized amber, black soot.
My tip for colouring is to Google your subject (eg. rufous crowned emu wren) and use an image as your guide, and to lay a light wash of the palest colour needed to define each area to be coloured, then build on that.


Below is the second card I made, playing at a friend's house. The card is intended as a man's birthday card, and I love the play of light through the die-cut panel, casting shadows onto the plain insert panel.
I have backed the die cut area with acetate for stability





No comments:

Post a Comment